Saturday, January 25, 2014

Novation A-Station Editors


Having worked for many years in MaxMSP, I began building editors for my synths. This was for two reasons: 1) I wanted to make controlling the synthesizers more accessible and 2) I wanted to learn everything about how they worked.

This first video is a patch made in Guru, which is a tool for the Renoise DAW. What makes this software so useful is that it is hosted inside the DAW, allowing patch editing and recalling in one box. Unfortunately what it doesn`t do is allow you to automate the parameters. BUT! That can be done quite easily with MIDI CC messages anyway. 

This demo features the main riff ripped from `The Hacker - Fadin` Away` and Public Enemy showing off the vocoder.


This second video shows the early stages of making a MaxMSP standalone editor for Windows. This was my learning curve for the one above, so is a little rough around the edges. I won`t thank Novation for their abuse of MIDI LSB and MSBs! A picture of the UI is below.


More recently, a very good A-Station editor has been made by Angular Momentum, and is available for free here: http://www.amvst.com/astation

1 comment:

  1. Hi! More than 5 years since you write this. I can't find a working editor for my A Station that runs on win10. Do you know where I can find one? Have a copy of the Angular Momentum editor???

    ReplyDelete